Saturday, November 1, 2008

FROM THE HEARTLANDS OF NEBRASKA...

<p><strong>><a href='http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008/pick-your-president/'>2008 Election Contest: Pick Your President</a></strong> - Predict the winner of the 2008 presidential election.</p>

Our trip to Nebraska was a very long and eventful journey which finally landed us in the American heartland of Lincoln, Nebraska. Our Lufthansa flight was supposed to take off at 5:30am, October 30th, from Cairo to Frankfurt. We arrived at the airport at exactly 3:30am, me and Mahmoud met outside the airport and entered together. We stood in line to check our bags and ourselves onto the plane until our turn came and Mahmoud was "shentle-man" and let me go first as the etiquette says. I checked my bag in, it was one underweight bag, took my boarding pass and the passport information card and went to a chair to sit and fill it out, while Mahmoud took his turn. A while later and still no Mahmoud. That was when I found out that Lufthansa overbooked the plane and Mahmoud's getting on the plane is in jeopardy. I freaked.

That's when one of the Lufthansa agents came over to me and Mahmoud and made us an offer. A certain amount of foreign currency in exchange of us giving up our seats. But since Mahmoud had no seat yet and it seemed like they needed my seat, we agreed after we saw the new itinerary. Instead of flying at 5:30am, we'd leave at 9:45am to Amsterdam on Egypt Air, then from Amsterdam to Chicago on KLM, and the last connection from Chicago to Lincoln was the same flight from our old itinerary - on United.

We took the new tickets and the voucher for that certain amount... elly fih el naseeb... and took the next plane.
____________________________________________________________________

IMPORTANT ANECDOTE:

Right before we boarded the plane - GUESS WHO WE RAN INTO?!?!?!

AMR ADIB - FROM ORBIT'S AL QAHERA EL YOUM!!

As I usually do in the presence of famous people, screamed his name as he walked by to the extent that I may have scared him a little. He was very friendly and said hi as we shook his hand. He asked us where we're going, and we told him to the US to cover the elections... that's when the following words exited his lips:

"Really?? You're the '8 Bloggers' going to blog the US elections?"

AMR ADIB KNOWS ABOUT US!

To me - that is impressive, just thought I'd let you all know... the world is watching!

BRAVO YAWLAD - INTO DELWA2TY OFFICIALLY MOHEMEEN!

EXCEPT TAB3AN WAEL WHO WAS A STAR LONG BEFORE ANY OF US :)
____________________________________________________________________

RE-UNITED:

Anyway we then boarded the plan to Ams and when we got there I bought a stock of Dutch Waffles.

A while later we boarded a KLM plane to Chicago. It was long and boring and the male flight attendant had over average activity in the brain attitude centers.

The second we landed, they called my name and told me to report to the front of the plane. That was when my knees went cotton candy.

I reported to the front of the plane only to be notified that my bag did not make it to Chicago and will be shipped to my final destination the next day.

It would be two days before I was reunited with my stuff.

Two days fighting on the phone with Egypt Air, KLM, and United, before my bag finally was delivered to me this afternoon. You guys have no idea how its like to stay without clothes in this cold for two hours until the washing machine washes and dries your only outfit. Anyways... its these experiences that train you to not go insane from the stupidity of those who are placed in positions that affect your life - like airline phone representatives.
____________________________________________________________________

AMERICAN MUSLIMS TODAY RADIO SHOW:

Two days before we came here I was informed that a radio interview me and Mahmoud have conducted with American Muslims Today's Yusuf Wells when we were here in Nebraska in September was uploaded here. Go ahead and listen to it and let us know what you think. We will be meeting up with Mr. Wells this week to meet and discuss issues with members of the Nebraska Muslim Community.
____________________________________________________________________

Overall, we're glad and excited to be back here in Nebraska. Hopefully we can bring you election coverage worthy of your interest. Wish us luck!

MIRAL BRINJY

Lincoln, Nebraska.