Monday, September 22, 2008

BREAKING NEWS - UPDATE

FROM NILE NEWS:

قامت مجموعة من الملثمين اليوم "الاثنين" بإختطاف أحد عشر سائحا على الحدود الجنوبية لمصر.

وصرح وزير السياحة زهير جرانة بأن السياح المختطفين بينهم خمسة إيطاليين وخمسة ألمان وسائح رومانى واحد , اضافة الى ثمانية مصريين.

وقال "ان مفاوضات تجرى حاليا مع الخاطفين لاطلاق سراح المختطفين مقابل فدية".

_____________________________________

FROM ISRAELI YNET:

Egypt: Kidnappers set $15 million ransom for tourists

Armed group that seized European tourists in Aswan region launch negotiations for their release, demand millions for their safe return. Cairo stresses abductors are criminals, not terrorists

Ynet and agencies

Latest Update: 09.22.08, 17:43 / Israel News


The armed men who abducted a group of foreign tourists in the Aswan region in southern Egypt are demanding a $15 million ransom – Egyptian and Italian media reported on Monday.

The Egyptian Tourism Ministry reported that the group was comprised of five German nationals, five Italians, one Romanian and four Egyptians. According to the Foreign Ministry, the incident took place two days ago during a jeep tour.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jerusalem refuted earlier reports that the group included two Israeli citizens.

The sources said it was possible the group had been taken to Sudan. The Egyptian and Italian foreign ministries confirmed that five Italian tourists were abducted. The ministry in Rome said it was in contact with other countries involved, but gave no further details.

Egyptian Tourism Minister Zoheir Garana said the abductors were veiled and made an official ransom demand.

The manager of an Egyptian travel agency told Ynet, "All we know for sure is that there were five Italians. I heard there may have been two Jews, but this isn't clear. Egyptian television has yet to report about it."

A security official in Aswan, 425 miles (685 kilometers) south of the capital Cairo, said authorities there were trying to determine the circumstances of the abduction.

An Egyptian government official said the kidnapping took place at a remote location near the Sudanese-Egyptian border south of Aswan. He too said that details remained sketchy.

"We don't know yet who did this and we don't know the whereabouts of the tourists," he said.

The two Egyptian officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media.

The Counter Terrorism Bureau recently issued its bi-annual travel advisory regarding imminent threats on Israelis the world over.

Security officials emphasized that these warnings are not new but have decided to reiterate the specific dangers apparent in the Sinai Peninsula and pertaining to kidnappings in general.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak recnetly called on hikers to visit the Negev following recent warnings that Hizbullah plans to kidnap Israelis in the Sinai Peninsula. "I recommend the Ramon Crater," Barak said during a visit to the Zeelim base in southern Israel.


"The state of Israel is located in a not so simple area. We are surrounded with attempts to hurt us. Being Israeli is a great responsibility but also a great source of pride"


"We must be alert, and it's difficult when a warning is issued to return from a trip and not to travel there. This means that there is a concrete threat and that one must simply return from Sinai," the defense minister added.

Roee Nahmias, Nir Magal, Roni Sofer, Hanan Greenberg, Ahuva Mamos, Jonathan Weber, The Associated Press and Reuters contribute to this report

First Published: 09.22.08, 13:56


____________________________________

It is amazing how the Isreali media turned this incident into something about Israel, not Egypt, Italy, Germany, or Sudan... Yeah it does seem that even though this is happening to Egypt, on Egyptian territory, involving Germans, Italians, and Egyptians, turned on the pages of Ynet to something all about Israel and Israelis. On the other hand, the Egyptian media isn't exactly giving this much attention either. I mean look at the amount dedicated to this on the Nile News, versus Ynet. Either way this isn't looking good. May God Help us.
_____________________________________
FROM LIFE IN ITALY: A little different..

"(ANSA) - Cairo, September 22 - The kidnappers of five Italians and six other foreign nationals in southern Egypt have opened ransom negotiations with the wife of the tour operator who took them there, the Egyptian tourism ministry said.

The ministry earlier denied negotiations were taking place with the kidnappers. The Reuters news agency reported the five Italians, five Germans, one Romanian and an unclear number of Egyptian drivers and guides had been moved across the border into Sudan.

The kidnappers were probably Sudanese, it said.The 11 tourists were on an adventure in an area of southern Egypt that featured in the popular film and book The English Patient."
_____________________________________

1 comment:

The Critic said...

No wonder the Israeli media turned this into an Israeli matter. But the wiered thing is that this situation had happenned in Egypt twice before, and no one took serious action towards it to secure that no such incidents would occur once more. But it seems that Egypt is an absolute JINKS, and according to that incident you can kiss tourism goodbye for a long while in Egypt, as i said before, this is not the first incident of that kind. What a mess.