Saturday, September 27, 2008

The first presidential debate smothered by political correctness

I watched the debate at a bar near my hotel, and sat through the 90 minutes wondering when things would heat up-they didn't. Maybe it's because the candidates are weary, maybe they've vented all their frustration in Washington at the bailout talks, but either way, neither McCain or Obama hit the jackpot last night.

Other than McCain calling Obama inexperienced and unknowledgeable a couple of times, there were no low blows during the debate, and neither of the candidates said anything particularly new. Rather it was a sort of sum up for anyone who hadn't been following the elections for the past 6 months on what the candidates' positions were. While the polls say that people think Obama did slightly better, my modest opinion is that neither candidate had very much of an effect on undecided voters last night. While I respect the seriousness of last night's debate, I think with the polls so close, the stakes are too high for either McCain or Obama to hold back. I think more hard hitting, agressive discussion is going to be necessary if these debates are going to determine the next president of the USA.

Either way, it should be fun to watch Biden and Palin next Thursday. I predict that Palin will compose a total of 3 coherent arguments with proper syntax. But that's just me.

6 comments:

Aaron R said...

Not sure of your experience with US presidential debates, but they are generally not too terribly heated. They are generally trying to score points with the public, not against the other person. But oh how I wish for the sort of back and forth a real debate would have. I can't wait to see Biden take Palin apart.

The analysis I heard was that McCain had a lot to prove because he was behind in the polling, and because Obama was supposed to be a bad debater (better at oration)...so the fact that McCain didn't really knock em dead is a point for Obama. Dunno how that plays out.

Bunn said...

The "real" debates, I believe, will be performed brilliantly by Saturday Night Live. I don't know what they have planned this year, but the Gore-Bush parodies back in 2000 are still quite memorable. I can't wait to see Darrell Hammond as McCain:

www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/

Steverino said...

Palin knows a little bit well while Biden knows a lot badly.

s said...

very very very very little

'Like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this. We're saying, 'Hey, why bail out Fanny and Freddie and not me?' But ultimately what the bailout does is, help those that are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy to help...uh...it's gotta be all about job creation, too.'

classic

Suzy Q said...

Personally, I think you're giving Palin too much credit. I'm embarassed, both as an American and as a woman, that someone as clueless as her is even on our top political ticket.

sairita said...

interestingly enough, the largest feminist organisation in the US, NOW (National Organisation for Women) - which never endorses candidates, mind you - has come out in favour of the Obama/Biden ticket. just goes to show that the "politics of presence" isn't enough - the Republicans were hoping that merely placing a woman on the ticket would gain points, but Palin stands for policies that would roll back women's rights weeeell into the last century...